Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/24/15 7:37 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> * The progress of VACUUM FULL seems wrong.
> When I run VACUUM FULL for a table, I got following progress.

It never occurred to me that this patch was attempting to measure the
progress of a CLUSTER (aka VACUUM FULL). I'm not sure that's such a
great idea, as the progress estimation presumably needs to be
significantly different.

More to the point, you can't estimate a CLUSTER unless you can estimate
the progress of an index build. That'd be a cool feature to have as
well, but it seems like a bad idea to mix that in with this patch.

Keep in mind that running a VACUUM FULL is presumably a LOT less common
than regular vacuums, so I don't think leaving it out for now is that
big a deal.

> * The vacuum by autovacuum is not displayed.
> I tested about this by the executing the following queries in a row,
> but the vacuum by autovacuum is not displayed,

IIRC this is the second problem related to autovacuum... is there some
way to regression test that? Maybe disable autovac on a table, dirty it,
then re-enable (all with an absurdly low autovacuum naptime)?