Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need tomodify to speedup the pg_dump backup. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need tomodify to speedup the pg_dump backup.
Date
In response to Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modifyto speedup the pg_dump backup.  (Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Please bottom-post, otherwise the thread becomes hard to read.

On Thu, 2018-10-11 at 08:44 +0530, Raghavendra Rao J S V wrote:
> We are using postgresql 9.2. It doesn't contain the option.
>
> Please guide me any other approaches to improve the performance of pg_dump.
>
> On Thu 11 Oct, 2018, 8:05 AM Pavan Teja, <pavan.postgresdba@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can use -j jobs option to speed up the process.
> >
> > Hope it works.
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2018, 8:02 AM Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > pg_dump is taking more time. Please let me know which configuration setting we
> > > need to modify to speedup the pg_dump backup.We are using 9.2 version on Centos Box.

There you have your first configuration change to speed up pg_dump:
upgrade from 9.2 to a release that is still supported.
And please don't tell me that you cannot / may not.
If your data are important for you, and you really want that speed-up,
you can.

Anyway, to make pg_dump faster with the -j option, you need to use
the "directory format" (-F d).

Other options to speed up pg_dump are limited: you can get faster
storage so that sequential scans are faster or more memory so that
more of the data resides in the filesystem cache.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe