Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/17/2015 06:54 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 09/17/2015 06:32 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
>>> I guess it is dependent on data type as it requires an equality operator,
>>> and type "point" doesn't have one.
>
>> To echo the OP, why is that?
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/functions-comparison.html
>> For non-null inputs, IS DISTINCT FROM is the same as the <> operator.
>
> Well, that's true: the parser actually looks up the operator named "<>"
> for the given data types, and IS DISTINCT FROM is just a prefilter on
> that to do the right thing with nulls.  So because type point has an
> operator that's physically named "<>", that case works.

If you use '<>' explicitly, otherwise:

test=> select '(1,2)'::point is distinct from '(1,3)'::point;
ERROR:  operator does not exist: point = point
LINE 1: select '(1,2)'::point is distinct from '(1,3)'::point;

 From the docs I would have expected the same behavior as:

test=> select '(1,2)'::point <> '(1,3)'::point;
  ?column?
----------

Is this expected?

If so, should the docs be changed to reflect?

If the docs need changing how does one go about that?

> However, in the given case, what gets found for "<>" is record_ne().
> The record comparison functions apply btree comparison functions for
> the individual column datatypes in the record --- and point does not
> have a btree opclass.

Aah, so in the TRIGGER this happen because of the OLD.*, NEW.* record
comparison.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com