Re: bdr admin role - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ray Stell
Subject Re: bdr admin role
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/3/15 11:36 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Please show your connection strings, and the contents of bdr.bdr_nodes
> and bdr.bdr_connections.
>
> On 3 September 2015 at 05:00, Ray Stell <stellr@vt.edu> wrote:
>> This doc specifies to initdb with the admin user "postgres,"
>> http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/quickstart-instances.html
>> but if I do that the supervisor falls over with:
>> $ cat bdr5598.log
>> LOG:  registering background worker "bdr supervisor"
>> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2015-09-02 16:04:45 EDT
>> LOG:  starting up replication identifier with ckpt at 0/171EBF8
>> LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
>> LOG:  starting background worker process "bdr supervisor"
>> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
>> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
>> LOG:  Created database bdr_supervisordb (oid=16384) during BDR startup
>> LOG:  worker process: bdr supervisor (PID 21666) exited with exit code 1
>> FATAL:  role "postgresql" does not exist
>> LOG:  starting background worker process "bdr supervisor"
>>
>> It works if I init with "-U postgresql"

Forgive me, I'm a little confused by your request.  As a general rule, I
never use the commonly used defaults for the admin usename. That's just
a long standing behavior of mine in most environments. The less the
black hats know, the better.  So, if I initdb with "-U fred" or
whatever, I would expect that to be detected by the bdr process, rather
than hardcoding some default value.  At the point of startup with
pg_ctl, there is no connection string or nodes in play.  The log records
I posted were right after the "pg_ctl ... start" of the first db.

I was walking through the demo exercise here and silly me changed the
admin role name without thinking about it.  I was just reporting that it
seems to be only working if the admin value is this default.  The demo
works fine if I use the string "postgresql" as the admin role.  It looks
like you might want to build -U support into bdr at some point.

I did build from source as we use some non-standard flags locally, so
maybe something is amiss in my build?   I'll try to go back and use the
pre-built software sometime soon.

Ray