Re: Proposing COPY .. WITH PERMISSIVE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Proposing COPY .. WITH PERMISSIVE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/25/2015 03:38 AM, dinesh kumar wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com
> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM, dinesh kumar
>     <dineshkumar02@gmail.com <mailto:dineshkumar02@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Robert Haas
>     <robertmhaas@gmail.com <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM, dinesh kumar
>     <dineshkumar02@gmail.com <mailto:dineshkumar02@gmail.com>>
>     >> wrote:
>     >> > Sorry for my  unclear description about the proposal.
>     >> >
>     >> > "WITH PERMISSIVE" is equal to our existing behavior. That is, chmod=644
>     >> > on
>     >> > the created files.
>     >> >
>     >> > If User don't specify "PERMISSIVE" as an option, then the chmod=600 on
>     >> > created files. In this way, we can restrict the other users from reading
>     >> > these files.
>     >>
>     >> There might be some benefit in allowing the user to choose the
>     >> permissions, but (1) I doubt we want to change the default behavior
>     >> and (2) providing only two options doesn't seem flexible enough.
>     >>
>     >
>     > Thanks for your inputs Robert.
>     >
>     > 1) IMO, we will keep the exiting behavior as it is.
>     >
>     > 2) As the actual proposal talks about the permissions of group/others. So,
>     > we can add few options as below to the WITH clause
>     >
>     > COPY
>     > ..
>     > ..
>     > WITH
>     > [
>     > NO
>     > (READ,WRITE)
>     > PERMISSION TO
>     > (GROUP,OTHERS)
>     > ]
>
>     If we're going to do anything here, it should use COPY's
>     extensible-options syntax, I think.
>

> Thanks Robert. Let me send a patch for this.

how are you going to handle windows or unix ACLs here?
Its permission model is quite different and more powerful than (non-acl
based) unix in general, handling this in a flexible way might soon get
very complicated and complex for limited gain...

Stefan