Re: to_json(NULL) should to return JSON null instead NULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: to_json(NULL) should to return JSON null instead NULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 08/29/2015 12:02 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de <mailto:oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de>>:
>
>     On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
>     <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>
>         Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net
>         <mailto:andrew@dunslane.net>> writes:
>         > On 08/29/2015 08:47 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:
>         >> Given there were no loud complaints about this, the current behavior
>         >> is appropriate for most users, the rest can still work
>         around using
>         >> coalesce(to_json(...), json 'null').
>
>         > I don't think it's necessarily more correct. But I do agree
>         that it's
>         > not a good idea to change the behaviour unless there is major
>         > unhappiness with it.
>
>         I'm not entirely convinced that JSON NULL and SQL NULL should
>         be treated
>         as the same concept, so I would say that the current behavior
>         is fine ---
>         at least when you think about it in isolation.  However,
>         haven't we
>         already bought into that equivalence in these examples?
>
>         regression=# select row_to_json(row(1,null,2));
>                 row_to_json
>         ---------------------------
>          {"f1":1,"f2":null,"f3":2}
>         (1 row)
>
>         regression=# select array_to_json(array[1,null,2]);
>          array_to_json
>         ---------------
>          [1,null,2]
>         (1 row)
>
>         or even in to_json itself:
>
>         regression=# select to_json(array[1,null,2]);
>           to_json
>         ------------
>          [1,null,2]
>         (1 row)
>
>         The scalar case is definitely failing to be consistent with these.
>

>     Yes, that's my argument for correctness also: to_json() on a
>     composite object should behave like distribution of to_json()
>     calls over object/array elements.
>
>         Is consistency a sufficient reason to change it?
>

>     Not for me.
>

> It is bug - and it should be fixed. I agree, so this change is too
> strong for fixing in minor version - but we can change it in
> unreleased major versions - 9.5 and master.

No, frankly that's being far too free with the word bug. It's not even
unambiguously incorrect.

Note that all the to_json functions are strict. In this sense it's quite
consistent. If we change it to being called on null input, what should
we return if a null non-scalar is passed in?

cheers

andrew