Re: Unusual psql behavior - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Unusual psql behavior
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/27/2015 01:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> I am seeing something I cannot figure out when using psql.
>
>> This is what I see:
>
>> psql (9.4.4)
>> Type "help" for help.
>
>> production_5432=> select from cell_per ;
>> --
>> (56 rows)
>
> I believe this is the expected output for a table with 56 rows and zero
> columns.  (It's probably a bug that psql doesn't display that as 56
> empty lines, but nobody's cared enough to fix it.)  Since you did not
> include anything in "select", you've got a zero-column result table.
>
>> This is when I am logged in as system user aklaver. If I log in as
>> another user on the same machine I see the query results. I see no
>> differences in the user environments that would account for this.
>
> You didn't say what query results you expected to get, but it's hard
> to see how you get anything but zero columns from this query.

Correct. Turns out I was using the above query as aklaver and kept on
going back to it in history with out thinking. When I logged in as other
users I added the *, so select * from cell_per. In the no readline
version I was forced to re-enter the query and did the 'right' thing.
Just not paying attention, thanks for the heads up.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com