Re: pgsql: Fix pg_rewind when pg_xlog is a symlink. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix pg_rewind when pg_xlog is a symlink.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 08/03/2015 09:05 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> That's only on master, though. The TAP tests don't run on Windows in 9.5
>> anyway.
> Oops, yes I got mistaken by the commit on 9.5.
>
>> I guess the pg_rewind tests used to work, but we didn't really advertise or
>> make it easy to run it, so I'm not sure it's worth it to try to maintain
>> that. Then again, we might want to backpatch all the TAP-test changes to
>> make them work on Windows to 9.5, now that they've gotten some testing in
>> the buildfarm and seem to work.
> Usually new features are not backpatched, and the support for MSVC is one IMO.

I think we can be rather more liberal with testing regimes that we can
core server and client code.

I have not yet tested these things with MSVC, but I can tell you:

a) some more changes will be required to allow the tests to run on
mingw/msys
b) the rewind tests are currently failing very badly on my mingw/msys
test rig. I'll be posting about that separately before long

>>>   On systems that don't support symbolic links, raises an exception. To
>>> check for that, use eval:
>>>
>>>      $symlink_exists = eval { symlink("",""); 1 };
>>
>> I wonder if we should be testing for that, instead of $windows_os.
> Yes, good point! The second platform referred as unsupported is RISC OS:
> http://perldoc.perl.org/perlport.html#symlink
> And Postgres can visibly work on it. It would be good to get for
> instance a RaspPI on the buildfarm with it, there is a development
> version.

The statement that Windows doesn't support symlinks isn't actually true.
AS Perl in Windows doesn't (or might not, - I don't know about all
versions). The test above doesn't fail on Msys DTK perl, but symlink
calls in perl don't work either, So I think we'd better stay with the
current test, or add the test above to the current test.

cheers

andrew