Re: PSQLODBC.DLL - The (maximum) expected data length is 8000, while the returned data length is 9606. - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PSQLODBC.DLL - The (maximum) expected data length is 8000, while the returned data length is 9606.
Date
In response to PSQLODBC.DLL - The (maximum) expected data length is 8000, while the returned data length is 9606.  ("Jens Sorensen (Intuii)" <JensSorensen@Intuii.com>)
Responses Re: PSQLODBC.DLL - The (maximum) expected data length is 8000, while the returned data length is 9606.  ("Jens Sorensen (Intuii)" <JensSorensen@Intuii.com>)
List pgsql-odbc
On 07/27/2015 09:16 AM, Jens Sorensen wrote:
> Hmm when I inserted the values into a table I believe it produced a
> column of nvarchar(4000). 4000 appears to be the max for nvarchar in SQL
> Server. However I changed the table to use type text instead, and it did
> not appear to affect the error message any.

First, as I understand it text is deprecated in SQL Server:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187993.aspx

The 8000 limit you are hitting is seems to the upper limit of SQL Server
varchar() unless you specify max:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176089.aspx

So I wonder if somewhere along the line varchar(8000) is being
substituted for text()?

This will need a more detailed description of what you are doing to answer.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com