Re: Connections closing due to "terminating connection due to administrator command" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Connections closing due to "terminating connection due to administrator command"
Date
Re: Connections closing due to "terminating connection due to administrator command"  (Herouth Maoz <herouth@unicell.co.il>)
List pgsql-general
On 07/27/2015 02:16 AM, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> In the past week, it has happened to us twice already that we got an
> exception from our Java application, due to PostgreSQL "terminating
> connection due to administrator command”.
>
> The problem is that I’m the administrator, and I issued no such command.
>
> On the first opportunity that it happened, the PostgreSQL server
> actually seemed to have spontaneously shut itself down and restarted:
>
> 2015-07-21 15:37:59 IDT LOG:  received fast shutdown request
> 2015-07-21 15:37:59 IDT LOG:  aborting any active transactions
> 2015-07-21 15:37:59 IDT FATAL:  terminating connection due to
> administrator command
> …
> 2015-07-21 15:38:01 IDT LOG:  shutting down
> 2015-07-21 15:38:02 IDT LOG:  database system is shut down
> 2015-07-21 15:40:16 IDT LOG:  database system was shut down at
> 2015-07-21 15:38:02 IDT
>
> On today’s occasion, the server seems to be continuing as usual, and
> there is nothing whatsoever in the log.
>
> So my questions are:
>
>   * Given that I did not terminate any backend connection interactively,
>     why did I get a  "terminating connection due to administrator
>     command” message? Is there any situation where this message is
>     issued without the administrator being involved?

This error message comes from intervention by a program external to
Postgres:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4564.1284559661@sss.pgh.pa.us

So what OS and version are you running?

What does the Java app do besides accessing the database?

Do you have other programs that monitor/control the database?

>   * What could have caused the shutdown on the 21st of July? Again, I
>     did not issue a shutdown request for that server, and the machine
>     didn’t restart.

Is there anything in logs before the above that might give a clue?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com