Re: Delete rule does not prevent truncate - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Delete rule does not prevent truncate
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/23/2015 12:25 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 07/23/2015 11:15 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
On 07/23/2015 12:09 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 07/23/2015 04:57 AM, Tim Smith wrote:
Andrew,

 From the manual:

It is important to realize that a rule is really a command
transformation mechanism, or command macro. The transformation happens
before the execution of the command starts. If you actually want an
operation that fires independently for each physical row, you probably
want to use a trigger, not a rule

Thus, I should not have to use a trigger for TRUNCATE because the "each
row" concept does not apply.     Plus it makes perfect sense to want to
transform the truncate command and transform into ignore

Just in case it has not been made obvious yet, rules are silently
deprecated. They still exist because views depend on them, but it is
generally considered best practices to not use them outside that
realm. So if you want the rule behavior to change for TRUNCATE(if that
is even possible) you are fighting an uphill battle. You may pursue
that fight of course, but I would think you will get a quicker return
on your time if you just forget about using a RULE and stick to a
TRIGGER instead.

Or change to using delete instead of truncate?

Well Tim has an ON DELETE rule:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+HuS5G2bZYYOGTJrw+VosjUPO298swxuU=JOrFAv54UT7vniQ@mail.gmail.com

His expectation was that would also catch a TRUNCATE based on this:

"... It has the same effect as an unqualified DELETE on each table, ..."

from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-truncate.html

It was then explained that while TRUNCATE had the same end result as 'DELETE FROM some_table' it was actually a separate command and action. Tim wants to catch a TRUNCATE and turn it into an ignore.

I'm suggesting OP might find changing truncate statements to deletes (without a where clause) a simpler solution. Something has to change.