Re: SQLJSON - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Subject Re: SQLJSON
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 28/06/15 11:51, Markus KARG wrote:
> It is not *us* who let the JSON users down, it is the PostgreSQL protocol
> guys who did not add any useful support for JSON. A driver is not a
> compensation for missing product features, it is just a thin wrapper around
> the base product's features.
     To have proper JSON support at the protocol level (something which
I'd love to have) only translates to more performance, no more
functionality. So is a nice-to-have, not a must-to-have (as is
supporting PostgreSQL's json data types).

> I mean, what happens if the application shall work with a different product?
> If you rely on non-JDBC-features, you're screwed. So a profession
> application using JSON should ALWAYS come with JSR 253 anyways.
     We have had to extend JDBC in several ways in the past. We should
do it again, now, in the best possible manner (getObject, PGResultSet,
whatever). And then, if JDBC adds support in the future, retrofit into
it. But not wait until then, because we don't even know if that would
even happen.

     Cheers,

     Álvaro

--