Re: Extension support for postgres_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Extension support for postgres_fdw
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/20/15 12:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Note that no matter what the details are, something like this is putting
> the onus on the DBA to mark as transmittable only functions that actually
> are safe to transmit, ie they exist*and have identical semantics*  on the
> remote.  I think that's fine as long as it's clearly documented.

That seems like potentially a lot of extra work. We have the actual
function body/definition for all but C functions, perhaps we could
automatically map calls when the definitions are identical.

I think that could operate safely in addition to manual specification
though, so presumably this could be added later.

> (Presumably, only immutable functions would get transmitted, even if there
> are mutable functions present in a marked extension.)

+1