Re: Conversion errors for datetime fields - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Conversion errors for datetime fields
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Aren't we *REQUIRED* by SQL99 to accept up to :61 to account for
> leap seconds?

60, maybe --- I have not looked at the SQL spec.  61 is a widely
repeated mistake; there never have been and never will be two leap
seconds in the same minute (cf. NTP spec, RFC1305, esp. appendix E).
But in reality, since we are using Unix-based timekeeping which does not
cope with leap seconds, it is pointless to consider :60 as meaning a
leap second.  I think it's better to continue to regard it as an error.
The only other thing we could do with it is treat 00:00:60 as meaning
the same as 00:01:00, which is not really correct behavior.

            regards, tom lane