Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/05/2015 08:07 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>  From my side, it is only recently I got some clear answers to my questions
>> about how it worked. I think it is very important that major features have
>> extensive README type documentation with them so the underlying principles used
>> in the development are clear. I would define the measure of a good feature as
>> whether another committer can read the code comments and get a good feel. A bad
>> feature is one where committers walk away from it, saying I don't really get it
>> and I can't read an explanation of why it does that. Tom's most significant
>> contribution is his long descriptive comments on what the problem is that need
>> to be solved, the options and the method chosen. Clarity of thought is what
>> solves bugs.
>
> Yes, I think we should have done that early-on for multi-xact, and I am
> hopeful we will learn to do that more often when complex features are
> implemented, or when we identify areas that are more complex than we
> thought.

I see this idea of the README as very useful. There are far more people
like me in this community than Simon or Alvaro. I can test, I can break
things, I can script up a harness but I need to be understand HOW and
the README would help allow for that.

> People think I want to stop feature development to review.  What I am
> saying is that we need to stop development so we can be honest about
> whether we need review, and where.  It is hard to be honest when time
> and feature pressure are on you.  It shouldn't take long to make that
> decision as a group.

Right. This is all about taking a step back, a deep breath, an objective
look and then digging in with a more productive and reliable manner.

Sincerely,

JD