Re: Further issues with jsonb semantics, documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Further issues with jsonb semantics, documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/5/15 2:08 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> That's a good point, and it won't get any better if/when we add the json
> point support in 9.6 since the syntax would be something like select
> jsonb '{"a":"1", "b":"2", "c": {"a": "2"}}' - '/c/a'; and we will again
> silently do nothing. That's going to cause bugs in applications using this.

Yeah, this is a miniature version of the pain I've felt with variant:
trying to get sane casting for a data type that encompasses other types
in current Postgres is essentially impossible. Your only option is to
put implicit or assignment casts in and cross your fingers, or to do
only explicit casts and force the user to cast everything (which is a
PITA). Even a json_pointer type may not help this much unless we have
some way to reliable transform an unknown into a json_pointer.