Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/28/2015 12:35 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> JD,

> What we would need for this is an 'extensions' directory, or similar,
> and a clear definition of what the requirements are around getting into
> it are.  With that, we could decide for each module currently in contrib
> if it should go into the 'extensions' directory.  I'm not sure that we
> would necessairly have to remove the contrib module or any modules which
> are deemed to not be appropriate for the 'extensions' directory.

I am suggesting that things like citext be made a type proper. No
install required. For things like pg_stat_statements of course there
could be configuration required (need to add it to the preload) but it
is automatically installed with the packages.

>> I am sure there will be plenty of fun to be had with what should or
>> shouldn't be merged into core. I think if we argue about the
>> guidelines of how to analyze what should be in core versus the
>> merits of any particular module, life will be easier. Here are some
>> for a start:
>>
>>     A. Must have been in contrib for at least two releases
>>     B. Must have visible community (and thus use case)
>
> I don't particularly like having a time-based requirement drive what's
> in which area, especially one that's double the length of our major
> release cycle.

I think there is only one or two contrib modules that don't actually fit
requirement A.

>> 2. Push the rest out into a .Org project called contrib. Let those
>> who are interested in the technology work on them or use them. This
>> project since it is outside of core proper can work just like other
>> extension projects. Alternately, allow the maintainers push them
>> wherever they like (Landscape, Github, Savannah, git.postgresql.org
>> ...).
>
> That's an interesting idea, but it's unclear how this would be any
> different from PGXN..?

PGXN is CPAN not Perl or DBD::Pg.

It is actually a compliment to PGXN because it is still needed and
needed more because that is where you are going to get the "latest and
greatest" of the modules.

Sincerely,

JD