Re: per feedback I received directly, pg_dump manpage patch - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: per feedback I received directly, pg_dump manpage patch
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 5/27/15 9:31 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I didn't check the location of the warning in your patch, or whether a
> warning is really appropriate rather than, say, <note> or a plain
> <para>.

The problem is that every time we get a bug report that some user
tripped over something that was not clear in the documentation, the
patch wants to add a note or warning, which causes some parts of the
documentation to degrade into just a series of warning boxes.  The fewer
warning boxes there are, however, the more likely the user will actually
read all of the documentation, I think.