Re: psql 8 warm standby strong start, weak finish - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: psql 8 warm standby strong start, weak finish
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/30/2015 07:22 AM, Charlton Galvarino wrote:
>> So where does the rsync you mentioned previously fit into this?
>
> A cron runs on warm_standby to pull (and delete) the WAL's from the master.
>
> rsync -avz --progress --remove-sent-files master:/var/lib/pgsql/archives/ /var/lib/pgsql/archives/

Hmm, in newer versions of rsync  --remove-sent-files has been replaced
by --remove-source-files, so I cannot test. Some searching found that
--remove-sent-files will move/delete unfinished files. I would say that
the above cron command is dangerous. To test, comment out the command
and let the archiving run. Postgres will recycle WALs on its own when
they are no longer needed. Or is there is some compelling reason you
want to get rid of WALs?

>> I do not see an -l option in the 8.4.x version of pg_standby, I do see it in the
>> 8.3 version.
>
> I agree.  pg_standby --help says exactly that.
>
> -l                 does nothing; use of link is now deprecated

Aah, so it is just noise.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com