Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar jun 21 11:06:22 -0400 2011:
>> Please note that this position should not be regarded as support for
>> Simon's proposed patch.  I still think the right decision is to revert
>> the ALTER TABLE feature, mainly because I do not believe this is the
>> last bug in it.  And the fact that there's a pre-existing bug with a
>> vaguely similar symptom is no justification for introducing more bugs.

> Note that this feature can be disabled by tweaking
> AlterTableGetLockLevel so that it always returns AccessExclusive.

I think Simon had also hacked a couple of other places such as CREATE
TRIGGER, but yeah, I was thinking of just lobotomizing that function
with an #ifdef.  When and if we get these problems worked out, it'll
be easy to re-enable the feature.