Re: adding more information about process(es) cpu and memory usage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: adding more information about process(es) cpu and memory usage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/23/2015 08:00 PM, Radovan Jablonovsky wrote:
> During current encounters with amazon web services - RDS, the DBA does not
> have access to OS/linux shell of underlying instance. That render some
> postgresql monitoring technique of process CPU and memory usage, not
> useful. Even if the AWS provide internal tools/programming interface for
> monitoring, it could be very useful to have this information provided by
> postgresql system table(s)/view/functions/api. The information about how
> much postgresql background/process is using CPU (similar to command top
> result) and memory. it could be something as simple as adding cpu,memory
> information fields to pg_stat_activity.

You can write an extension to do that. Of course, Amazon won't let you
run your own C extension either (otherwise you could use that to escape
into shell), but if you do it well and publish and get it included into
standard distributions, they just might pick it up. Unless they don't
want you to see that information. If they don't, then they wouldn't let
you use the system views either.

In a nutshell, I don't think PostgreSQL should get involved in that...

- Heikki