Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/08/2015 06:19 AM, Mike Toews wrote:
> On 23 March 2015 at 22:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> For the 10th birthday we used the start of the online presence as our
>> birthday, not the Postgres95 release. That's next year.
>>
>> It would seem odd to change the definition and celebrate a 20th birthday 9
>> years after the 10th.
>
> This is the most compelling evidence, along with the domain
> registration, that the birthday was 05:06 EDT on 22 October 1996, as
> per the domain registration of the online presence as PostgreSQL.ORG

The reason we've been celebrating July 8, 1996 as the birthday of the
PostgreSQL Project is that's when Marc stood up the CVS server and the
source of PostgreSQL went online, with an OSS license.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.