Re: pgadmin3 installation on Oracle Linux 6.6 64-bit ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pgadmin3 installation on Oracle Linux 6.6 64-bit ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/29/2015 12:48 AM, Yuri Budilov wrote:
> thanks Tim,
>
> I ran yum whatprovides and received "no matches found".

What repos are you using?

See Devims answer for the Postgres community repo.

> I believe that pgadmin3 uses wxWidgets (according to the web site) but I
> can not find them in installable rpm format for Red Hat/Oracle Linux 6.x
> on their web site.

The expectation is that would be handled by the packaging system for the
distribution. In the event that is not the case, the download site at
pgAdmin (http://www.pgadmin.org/download/) gives you links to other
options, including the link Devim mentioned.

> the gtk libraries are already installed on my Linux, as is postgres 9.4.
> The errors from pgadmin3 installation appear to be specific to
> libwx_gtk* libraries, which are probably part of wxWidgets.org.
>
> I find this hard to believe that to just install and use pgadmin3 (as a
> DBA, not as a C++ programmer!) on Red Hat/Oracle Linux I must be
> building complete C++ application from sources using all sorts of
> disparate libraries.
> wxWidgets, I am sure, will have a bunch of other prerequisites, its like
> a dog chasing its tail.
> I just want to install and use pgadmin3 on one of the most common Linux
> platforms, RHEL.

No you want to use it on Oracle Linux which is a derived distro, created
by a company who sees Postgres as a competitor. Not sure they are all
that interested in making Postgres easy to use.

> I expected smooth sailing, the PostgreSQL 9.4 was certainly easy to
> install and get going on RHEL/OL.
> Alas, not pgadmin4.
>
> What have I missed? Is there a step by step document describing how to
> do this (i failed to find it)?
> Is the prerequisite for pdagmin3 *installation* requires mastery of all
> of: Linux, C++ and wsWidgets?
>
> Is pgadmin3 not a widely used tool by PostgeSQL DBA community which is
> why there is such lack of good documentation on how to install it?

I would say psql is probably a more widely used tool. The only time I
use pgAdmin is when I am trying to solve other peoples problems with it.
 From what I have seen it is a good tool, it just does not fit my way of
working.

--
Adrian Klaver