Re: Failure with regression test largeobject if pg_regress invoked from external paths - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Failure with regression test largeobject if pg_regress invoked from external paths
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Um ... what exactly is the triggering condition here?

> Perhaps my previous email was not clear enough. Attached is a small
> script that emulates what my colleague infrastructure is doing on a
> running instance.

I see; so the point is you haven't cd'ed into src/test/regress.

I'm not sure if that's a case we ought to support or not.  In particular,
it's pretty unclear what is the benefit of this script compared to
"make -C $PG_SRC/src/test/regress check".  The script certainly will break
anytime we change the set of arguments the Makefile passes to pg_regress,
which we have done before and no doubt will do again.

Again, I don't see much harm in the patch you propose, it's more a
question of should we contract to support this use-case.  It's not
zero cost to do so; we might for example be able to get rid of some
(in/out)put/*.source files if we didn't need to substitute @abs_builddir@
in them.  Those things are a PITA to maintain, too, so I'm not very
eager to add on more reasons why tests would need them.

            regards, tom lane