Re: fied separator change from the shell command line - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fied separator change from the shell command line
Date
List pgsql-general
Edmund Bacon <ebacon-xlii@onesystem.com> writes:
> paulo.oliveira@engineer.com writes:
>> I'm trying to change the usal "|" table field separator from the shell
>> command line:
>> psql -d ect -f pl_lost.sql -o pl_lost.out.txt  -F "\t" -U asaadmin

> Changing the field separator only works with unaligned output. You
> need to add a -A to your command line switches (or --no-align). Doing
> this, though, drops the column headers.

There's a bit of a documentation issue I think: the psql reference page
doesn't point out that -F only affects unaligned output.  You could find
that out by consulting the crossreferenced description of \pset fieldsep,
but it seems better to mention it under -F too.  I've changed the
documentation accordingly in CVS HEAD.

            regards, tom lane