Re: Sharing data between stored functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Sharing data between stored functions?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/05/2015 07:48 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> [...]
documentationit states that when a session ends (like after each request in a web application when not using persistent
connections),the temporary table would automatically be dropped.
> Just to test it, I created the following in a new session:
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE http_querystring_values (key TEXT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, value TEXT NOT NULL) ON COMMIT DELETE
ROWS;
> However, none of the other sessions can find this table. This is correct according to the documentation.
>
> Is there any reason why Postgresql does not implement the SQL standard's version of GLOBAL temporary tables?
> I also don't like the idea of passing the "state" around to functions. I'd rather just query a table OR read some
globalvariable. The JSON /HSTORE syntax looks horrible, I just like to stick with the simplicity of a table.

> ----------------------------
> Sorry, my reply was based on (old) Oracle knowledge.
> Now, I'm wondering too, why PG didn't implement such basic (at least to me) feature.

Per my previous post, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-createtable.html

Compatibility

The CREATE TABLE command conforms to the SQL standard, with exceptions
listed below.

Temporary Tables

--
Adrian Klaver