Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server
Date
Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-www
On 02/24/2015 01:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> All this points to is the need for a solid termination policy,
>> preferably one which is automated so people don't get the chance to
>> argue about it.
>
> Fine with me.  Then I feel more comfortable creating additional PUG
> lists.

OK, here's my proposal:

* Mailing lists with more than 6 months of total inactivity will be
automatically terminated.
* Mailing lists with fewer than 20 posts in a year will be automatically
terminated.
* "Is anyone here?" posts are not considered activity.
* When terminating a list, one of the admins or the list owner will post
a last message to that list informing users about it's imminent
termination.  Not so they can rescue the list, but just so they don't
wonder where it went.

One question is: for terminated lists, what is our policy/practice on
archives?

For example, I'd like to terminate the SFPUG list.  Given that we have
Meetup, RSS *and* Twitter, we really don't need it anymore.  However,
I'm reluctant to delete the archives.

A second question: what about reactivating lists?

Example: SLCPUG stops meeting and their list goes dead.  We terminate
the list but keep the archives.  Two years later, a new community member
wants to re-organize SLCPUG.  Do we have a way to give them a list which
will archive to the same place?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.