Re: Partitioning WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Partitioning WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27-02-2015 AM 03:18, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 07:15 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what would qualify as baked enough for 9.5 though we
>> can surely try to reach some consensus on various implementation aspects
>> and perhaps even get it ready in time for 9.5.
>
> Well, we don't have long at all to do that.  I guess I'm asking what
> kind of completeness of code we have; is this basically done pending API
> changes and bugs, or are there major bits (like, say, pg_dump  and
> EXPLAIN support) which are completely unimplemented?

I would say I am not entirely sure/satisfied about some decisions I have
made (or not) when writing even the basic patch. Yes,
pg_dump/EXPLAIN/psql, etc. are not touched. So, it seems it might not be
fair to claim it's actually something for 9.5. Let me just call it WIP
for a while while keep I working on it and receive feedback.

>> Only one concern I can remember someone had raised is that having to
>> evaluate an expression for every row during bulk-inserts may end up
>> being pretty expensive. Though, we might have to live with that.
>
> Well, it's not more expensive than having to materialize the value from
> a trigger and store it on disk.  The leading one here would be functions
> over timestamp; for example, the data has a timestamptz, but you want to
> partition by week.
>

>> I think one idea is to learn from ability to use expressions in indexes.
>
> Sure.  So a feature to implement for the 2nd release.

Actually, I'm trying to add that and see how it works. I will post an
updated patch soon if it looks good enough.

Thanks,
Amit