Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE and logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE and logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/19/15 4:11 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Thoughts? Can't say that I've given conflict resolution for
>> >multi-master systems a great deal of thought before now, so I might be
>> >quite off the mark here.
> I don't think conflict resolution actually plays a role here. This is
> about consistency inside a single system, not consistency across
> systems.

Isn't it possible that a multi-master resolution algo would want to know
that something was an UPSERT though? ISTM handling that differently than
a plain INSERT/UPDATE is something you might well want to do.

For example, if you're using last-wins conflict resolution and UPSERTs
on two nodes overlap, wouldn't you want to know that the second UPSERT
was an UPSERT and not a plain INSERT?