Re: SSL renegotiation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: SSL renegotiation
Date
Re: SSL renegotiation  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/22/2015 02:05 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-02-22 01:27:54 +0100, Emil Lenngren wrote:
>> I honestly wonder why postgres uses renegotiation at all. The motivation
>> that cryptoanalysis is easier as more data is sent seems quite
>> far-fetched.
>
> I don't think so. There's a fair number of algorithms that can/could be
> much easier be attached with lots of data available. Especially if you
> can guess/know/control some of the data.  Additionally renegotiating
> regularly helps to constrain a possible key leagage to a certain amount
> of time. With backend connections often being alive for weeks at a time
> that's not a bad thing.

Renegotiation will be removed from future TLS versions because it is
considered unnecessary with modern ciphers:
 <https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/issues/38>

If ciphers require rekeying, that mechanism will be provided at the TLS
layer in the future.

I think you could remove renegotiation from PostgreSQL as long as you
offer something better than RC4 in the TLS handshake.