Enabling Server Instrumentation on 8.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arnold, Sandra
Subject Enabling Server Instrumentation on 8.4.1
Date
List pgsql-general
I am in the process of trying to enable Server Instrumentation on Postgresql 8.4.1.  I installed the software using the Linux one-click-installer.  I have looked for the sql file that is shown on the screen that comes up when I try to use the Server Status tool in PGAdminIII (see below) but cannot find it.  If I see the contrib directory under share/postgresql directory does that mean the adminpack is installed?  Or there something I need to do?

Thanks,

Sandra

Screen which is displayed:

Server instrumentation

The server lacks instrumentation functions.

pgAdmin III uses some support functions that are not availabe by default in all PostgreSQL versions.  These enable some tasks that make life easier when dealing with log files and configuration files.

When you install PostgreSQL 8.0 or up using  the Windows installer, you just need to select the "admin" or "adminpack" module.c

When compiling from source, the necessary files can be found in the xtra subdirectory of the pgAdmin source tree.  For PostgreSQL 8.0, copy the admin directory under the postgresql contrib source directory, make and make install from there.  For PostgreSQL 8.1, use the admin81 directory for that.

PostgreSQL 8.2 and above include the instrumentation functions in the "adminpack" contrib module.  After the module is installed, you need to create the instrumentation functions in your maintenance database using the admin.sql script (admin81.sql for PostgreSQL 8.1) which are usually located in the pgsql share directory (e.g. /usr/local/pgsql/share)

Extended server instrumentation is not supported for PostgreSQL 7.3 and 7.4.