Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 1/20/15 6:32 PM, David G Johnston wrote:
>> In fact, as far as
>> the database knows, the values provided to this function do represent an
>> entire population and such a correction would be unnecessary.  I guess it
>> boils down to whether "future" queries are considered part of the population
>> or whether the population changes upon each query being run and thus we are
>> calculating the ever-changing population variance.
> I think we should be calculating the population variance.  We are
> clearly taking the population to be all past queries (from the last
> reset point).  Otherwise calculating min and max wouldn't make sense.

The difference is likely to be very small in any case where you actually
want to examine the standard deviation, so I feel we're rather arguing
about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin, but if this is the
consensus I'll change it.

cheers

andrew