why does find_my_exec resolve symlinks? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject why does find_my_exec resolve symlinks?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Here is a scenario:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/9.4.1
make
make install
ln -s 9.4.1 /usr/local/pgsql/9.4
PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/9.4/bin:$PATH

And then when 9.4.2 comes out, the symlink is updated.

I think this sort of setup in variations is not uncommon.

When building other software against that installation, it would use
pg_config --includedir, pg_config --libdir, etc., but that points to
/usr/local/pgsql/9.4.1/lib instead of /usr/local/pgsql/9.4/lib, because
find_my_exec() goes out of its way to resolve symlinks in the returned
path.  If the other software saves an rpath or the bindir or something
during the build, then if I later clear out the old 9.4.1 installation,
the other software will break.

The reason for this behavior is

commit 336969e490d71c316a42fabeccda87f798e562dd
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Sat Nov 6 23:06:29 2004 +0000
   Add code to find_my_exec() to resolve a symbolic link down to the   actual executable location.  This allows people
tocontinue to use   setups where, eg, postmaster is symlinked from a convenient place.   Per gripe from Josh Berkus.

I don't quite understand what setup Josh was using there.

Is there a way we can consolidate these situations?