Re: Strange choice of general index over partial index - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Strange choice of general index over partial index
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 16/01/15 16:06, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> A bit more poking about shows that the major factor (which this fake
> dataset anyway) is the default for effective_cache_size (changes from
> 128MB to 4GB in 9.4). Increasing this makes 9.2 start using the
> files_in_flight index in a plain index scan too.

Arrg - misread the planner output....in 9.2 what changes is a plan that
uses an index scan on the *file_state* index (not
files_in_flight)...which appears much faster than the bitmap scan on
file_state. Apologies for the confusion.

I'm thinking that I'm seeing the effect Tom has just mentioned.

regards

Mark