Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/21/14, 8:55 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
>           > And why that, but not
>           > say schema-wide ANALYZE, CLUSTER, TRUNCATE, ...
>           >

>         +1. I can write patches for each of this maintenance statement too.
>

>     If we're going to go that route, then perhaps it would make more sense to create a command that allows you to
applya second command to every object in a schema. We would have to be careful about PreventTransactionChain commands.

>   Sorry but I don't understand what you meant. Can you explain more about your idea?

There's a very large number of commands that could be useful to execute on every object in a schema. (RE)INDEX,
CLUSTER,ALTER come to mind besides VACUUM.

Right now a lot of people just work around this with things like DO blocks, but as mentioned elsewhere in the thread
thatfails for commands that can't be in a transaction.