Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/21/2014 02:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> writes:
>> I work with some customer that have databases with a lot of schemas and
>> sometimes we need to run manual VACUUM in one schema, and would be nice to
>> have a new option to run vacuum in relations from a specific schema.
> I'm pretty skeptical of this alleged use-case.  Manual vacuuming ought
> to be mostly a thing of the past, and even if it's not, hitting
> *everything* in a schema should seldom be an appropriate thing to do.
>
> While the feature itself might be fairly innocuous, I'm just wondering
> why we need to encourage manual vacuuming.  And why that, but not
> say schema-wide ANALYZE, CLUSTER, TRUNCATE, ...

Sadly, manual vacuuming is very far from a thing of the past. Autovacuum
simply doesn't give us enough control in many cases.

Maybe this gadget would be useful, but its application seems a bit
limited. Someone mentioned allowing multiple --table options to
vacuumdb. That would be mopre flexible.

But really I think we need to work on how we can make autovacuum more
useful. For example, it would be nice not to have to do "ALTER TABLE" to
change the autovac settings. It would be nice to be able to specify
times of day and days of week when autovacuum should be turned on or off
for a table. I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas.

cheers

andrew