Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
Re: Commitfest problems  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 19/12/14 20:48, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-12-18 10:02:25 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I think a lot of hackers forget exactly how tender their egos are. Now I say
>> this knowing that a lot of them will go, "Oh give me a break" but as someone
>> who employs hackers, deals with open source AND normal people :P every
>> single day, I can tell you without a single inch of sarcasm that petting
>> egos is one of the ways you get things done in the open source (and really
>> any male dominated) community.
>
> To me that's a bit over the top stereotyping.

+1

Having been mentioned one or two times myself - it was an unexpected
"wow - cool" rather than a grumpy/fragile "I must be noticed" thing. I
think some folk have forgotten the underlying principle of the open
source community - it is about freely giving - time or code etc. The
"there must be something in it for me me me" meme is - well - the
*other* world view.

>> However, doing crappy work and let's not be shy about it, there is NOTHING
>> fun about reviewing someone else's code needs to have incentive.
>
> FWIW, I don't agree with this at all. Reviewing code can be quite
> interesting - with the one constraint that the problem the patch solves
> needs to be somewhat interesting. The latter is what I think gets many
> of the more experienced reviewers - lots of the patches just solve stuff
> they don't care about.

Yeah, and also it helps if the patch addresses an area that you at least
know *something* about - otherwise it is really hard to review in any
useful way.

Cheers

Mark