Re: NUMERIC private methods? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: NUMERIC private methods?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/18/14, 9:21 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As it stands, no extension can use the numeric type in any non-trivial
>> >way without paying a large penalty for repeated pallocs and data copies.
>> >Given that the ability to write C extensions easily is one of pg's great
>> >strengths, this is a defect that should be corrected.

If copying data/palloc is the root of numeric's performance problems then we need to address that, because it will
providebenefit across the entire database. The pattern of (palloc; copy) is repeated throughout a large part of the
codebase.