Re: SSL Certificates in Windows 7 & Postgres 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: SSL Certificates in Windows 7 & Postgres 9.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/17/2014 10:14 PM, harpagornis wrote:
> I am developing a Windows desktop application so the client is the desktop
> application.  Depending on the installation, the app will be running in
> single user mode, with the server and client both on only one machine, using
> 127.0.0.1.  In that type of installation, there is little or no reason the
> server and the client cannot share configuration files.  Alternatively, the
> app could be installed for multiple users on a network server.  Even in that
> type of installation, is there some reason that the client should never
> access server configuration files?

the client has no USE for the server configuration files, there's
NOTHING in there of interest to him, or that he should know that he
can't figure out by querying the server..

we're talking about SSL here.   there's the *SERVER* public and private
key, and there's the *USER* public and private key.  THESE ARE
DIFFERENT, even if you're doing SSL to/from the same system (it can be
argued that using SSL on localhost is a waste of time, but whatever).