Re: BUG #2366: Timestamptz data type is inaccurate - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #2366: Timestamptz data type is inaccurate
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Christian Holtje" <christian.holtje@timesys.com> writes:
> I don't know what's going on, but basically, for some dates timestamptz is
> loosing parts of the date/time (like the timezone, etc.)

> db=# select '2076-03-30 19:57:05-05'::timestamptz;
>      timestamptz
>  2076-03-31 00:57:05
> (1 row)

That date is probably outside the range of dates for which your OS knows
the timezone rules.  If you were using PG 8.0 or later, this would
actually be our fault, because 8.0 contains its own timezone database
... but 7.4 is at the mercy of the OS's timezone library.

            regards, tom lane