Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/14/2014 12:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 12/14/2014 10:35 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>>> Compare this to say, for example, huge patches such as RLS.
>> I specifically objected to that being flattened into a single monster
>> patch when I saw that'd been done. If you look at my part in the work on
>> the row security patch, while I was ultimately unsuccessful in getting
>> the patch mergeable I spent quite a bit of time splitting it up into a
>> logical patch-series for sane review and development. I am quite annoyed
>> that it was simply flattened back into an unreviewable, hard-to-follow
>> blob and committed in that form.
> TBH, I'm not really on board with this line of argument.  I don't find
> broken-down patches to be particularly useful for review purposes.  An
> example I was just fooling with this week is the GROUPING SETS patch,
> which was broken into three sections for no good reason at all.  (The
> fourth and fifth subpatches, being alternative solutions to one problem,
> are in a different category of course.)  Too often, decisions made in
> one subpatch don't make any sense until you see the larger picture.
>
> Also, speaking of the larger picture: the current Postgres revision
> history amounts to 37578 commits (as of sometime yesterday) --- and that's
> just in the HEAD branch.  If we'd made an effort to break feature patches
> into bite-size chunks like you're recommending here, we'd probably have
> easily half a million commits in the mainline history.  That would not be
> convenient to work with, and I really doubt that it would be more useful
> for "git bisect" purposes, and I'll bet a large amount of money that most
> of them would not have had commit messages composed with any care at all.

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but ...

I'm also quite dubious about this suggested workflow, partly for the
reasons Tom gives, and partly because it would constrain the way I work.
I tend to commit with little notes to myself in the commit logs, notes
that are never intended to become part of the public project history. I
should be quite sad to lose that.

As for using git bisect, usually when I do this each iteration is quite
expensive. Multiplying the number of commits by a factor between 10 and
100, which is what I think this would involve, would just make git
bisect have to do between 3 and 7 more iterations, ISTM. That's not a win.

On the larger issue, let me just note that I don't believe we have what
is fundamentally a technological problem, and while technological
changes can of course sometimes make things easier, they can also blind
us to the more basic problems we are facing.

cheers

andrew