Re: On partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: On partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/14, 8:03 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp>  wrote:
>> >In case of what we would have called a 'LIST' partition, this could look like
>> >
>> >... FOR VALUES (val1, val2, val3, ...)
>> >
>> >Assuming we only support partition key to contain only one column in such a case.
>> >
>> >In case of what we would have called a 'RANGE' partition, this could look like
>> >
>> >... FOR VALUES (val1min, val2min, ...) TO (val1max, val2max, ...)
>> >
>> >How about BETWEEN ... AND ... ?
> Sure.  Mind you, I'm not proposing that the syntax I just mooted is
> actually for the best.  What I'm saying is that we need to talk about
> it.

Frankly, if we're going to require users to explicitly define each partition then I think the most appropriate API
wouldbe a function. Users will be writing code to create new partitions as needed, and it's generally easier to write
codethat calls a function as opposed to glomming a text string together and passing that to EXECUTE.