PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v3 (WAS: Re: [PERFORM] Yet another abort-early plan disaster on 9.3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v3 (WAS: Re: [PERFORM] Yet another abort-early plan disaster on 9.3)
Date
Responses Re: PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v3 (WAS: Re: [PERFORM] Yet another abort-early plan disaster on 9.3)  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
Re: PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v4  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

This was initially posted to pgsql-performance in this thread:

  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5472416C.3080506@fuzzy.cz

but pgsql-hackers seems like a more appropriate place for further
discussion.

Anyways, attached is v3 of the patch implementing the adaptive ndistinct
estimator. Just like the previous version, the original estimate is the
one stored/used, and the alternative one is just printed, to make it
possible to compare the results.

Changes in this version:

1) implementing compute_minimal_stats

   - So far only the 'scalar' (more common) case was handled.

   - The algorithm requires more detailed input data, the MCV-based
     stats insufficient, so the code hashes the values and then
     determines the f1, f2, ..., fN coefficients by sorting and
     walking the array of hashes.

2) handling wide values properly (now are counted into f1)

3) compensating for NULL values when calling optimize_estimate

   - The estimator has no notion of NULL values, so it's necessary to
     remove them both from the total number of rows, and sampled rows.

4) some minor fixes and refactorings

I also repeated the tests comparing the results to the current estimator
- full results are at the end of the post.

The one interesting case is the 'step skew' with statistics_target=10,
i.e. estimates based on mere 3000 rows. In that case, the adaptive
estimator significantly overestimates:

    values   current    adaptive
    ------------------------------
    106           99         107
    106            8     6449190
    1006          38     6449190
    10006        327       42441

I don't know why I didn't get these errors in the previous runs, because
when I repeat the tests with the old patches I get similar results with
a 'good' result from time to time. Apparently I had a lucky day back
then :-/

I've been messing with the code for a few hours, and I haven't found any
significant error in the implementation, so it seems that the estimator
does not perform terribly well for very small samples (in this case it's
3000 rows out of 10.000.000 (i.e. ~0.03%).

However, I've been able to come up with a simple way to limit such
errors, because the number of distinct values is naturally bounded by

    (totalrows / samplerows) * ndistinct

where ndistinct is the number of distinct values in the sample. This
essentially means that if you slice the table into sets of samplerows
rows, you get different ndistinct values.

BTW, this also fixes the issue reported by Jeff Janes on 21/11.

With this additional sanity check, the results look like this:

    values   current    adaptive
    ------------------------------
    106           99         116
    106            8       23331
    1006          38       96657
    10006        327       12400

Which is much better, but clearly still a bit on the high side.

So either the estimator really is a bit unstable for such small samples
(it tends to overestimate a bit in all the tests), or there's a bug in
the implementation - I'd be grateful if someone could peek at the code
and maybe compare it to the paper describing the estimator. I've spent a
fair amount of time analyzing it, but found nothing.

But maybe the estimator really is unstable for such small samples - in
that case we could probably use the current estimator as a fallback.
After all, this only happens when someone explicitly decreases the
statistics target to 10 - with the default statistics target it's damn
accurate.

kind regards
Tomas

statistics_target = 10
======================

a) smooth skew, 101 values, different skew ('k')

   - defaults to the current estimator

b) smooth skew, 10.001 values, different skew ('k')

    k    current  adaptive
    -----------------------
    1      10231     11259
    2       6327      8543
    3       4364      7707
    4       3436      7052
    5       2725      5868
    6       2223      5071
    7       1979      5011
    8       1802      5017
    9       1581      4546

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

    values   current    adaptive
    ------------------------------
    106           99         107
    106            8     6449190
    1006          38     6449190
    10006        327       42441

   patched:

    values   current    adaptive
    ------------------------------
    106           99         116
    106            8       23331
    1006          38       96657
    10006        327       12400

statistics_target = 100
=======================

a) smooth skew, 101 values, different skew ('k')

   - defaults to the current estimator

b) smooth skew, 10.001 values, different skew ('k')

    k      current     adaptive
    -----------------------------
    1        10011        10655
    2         9641        10944
    3         8837        10846
    4         8315        10992
    5         7654        10760
    6         7162        10524
    7         6650        10375
    8         6268        10275
    9         5871         9783

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

    values   current    adaptive
    ------------------------------
    106           30          70
    1006         271        1181
    10006       2804       10312

statistics_target = 1000
========================

a) smooth skew, 101 values, different skew ('k')

   - defaults to the current estimator

b) smooth skew, 10.001 values, different skew ('k')

    k    current     adaptive
    ---------------------------
    3      10001        10002
    4      10000        10003
    5       9996        10008
    6       9985        10013
    7       9973        10047
    8       9954        10082
    9       9932        10100

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

    values   current    adaptive
    106          105         113
    1006         958        1077
    10006       9592       10840