Re: Having issues with tests - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Having issues with tests
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 11/26/2014 08:29 AM, rapidtransit440@aol.com wrote:
> I downloaded the sources from here:
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html version
> 9.3-1102 .I didn't realize there was a git repository until a few days
> later.

Working on top of a source snapshot will cause you a great deal of pain
and frustration.

I strongly suggest that you clean your current build tree to remove
build product files, then

* cd ..
* git clone https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc.git
* cd pgjdbc
* git checkout REL9_3_1102
* git checkout -b my-patched-rel9_3_1102

which will give you a source tree for 9.3-1102 in a new working branch.
Then:

* cp -r ../mypgjdbc-9.3-1102/* .

which will copy the contents of your modified tree into the current git
tree.

You can then see what you've changed with "git status", etc. At this
point you should try to organise your changes into a set of patches as
one or more git commits.

Once you have your changes as a separate patch, in the form of a git
commit, you can then try to rebase them on top of the current
development tree:

* git checkout master
* git cherry-pick my-patched-rel9_3_1102~0

merge any conflicts, and continue.

If this all seems too hard, it might be easier to simply redo your
changes on top of the current git master. It's up to you.

> I thought I had downloaded the latest stable?

Sure, but that's a long way behind the current development tree.

You also shouldn't be doing development on top of a source snapshot
tarball. Always start with a git clone. It'll make life way, way easier.

> I tried again with Ant, again still can't figure out how to use it.

Take a look at the README.md in the latest git tree.