Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone
Date
List pgsql-hackers

No problems.  They even handle time zones with arbitrary minute
boundaries (not on the hour) with aplomb.

> Over-simplistic answers are not what we need here.  The data
> structure you quote cannot even tell what DST transition
> dates Windows thinks are in effect this year, let alone what
> it thinks the dates were in past years.

Yes, there are other calls for that, obviously.  I sent to Mr. Momjian a
complete implementation of time zone stuff that uses Windows calls.
It's also accurate to a fraction of a nanosecond millions of years into
the past and the future.

The call that I showed returns the NAME OF THE TIME ZONE and also what
it is called when you are in Daylight savings time.  I thought the issue
under question was to find out what the time zone was.

This program:

#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int             main(void)
{   TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION tz;   DWORD           i = GetTimeZoneInformation(&tz);   for (i = 0; i < 32 &&
tz.StandardName[i];i++)      cout <<  (TCHAR) tz.StandardName[i];   cout << endl;   for (i = 0; i < 32 &&
tz.DaylightName[i];i++)      cout <<  (TCHAR) tz.DaylightName[i];   cout << endl;   return 0;
}

Prints this:
Pacific Standard Time
Pacific Daylight Time

There is also a global variable called _tzname that contains the name of
the time zone.
See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/h
tml/_crt__daylight.2c_._timezone.2c_.and__tzname.asp

On my machine:
cout << _tzname[0];  // ->  PST
cout << _tzname[1];  // ->  PDT

As far as doing the calculations for time values, do whatever you like
(it's not that difficult either, and the code I send does address all
that stuff, though it is in C++).  Don't forget that things are inverted
in the southern hemisphere.

Have a good one.