Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

In addition, a data warehouse is a special case, since the source data
remains untouched.

With a data warehouse, you intentionally destroy and recreate it on a
frequent basis.

My statement remains true.  The data is more valuable than the hardware.
But in the case of a data warehouse, if the warehouse "burns to the
ground" you can create another one on-demand.  Since the original data
is not destroyed, the data is not destroyed.  If the original data from
which the warehouse is derived were to be destroyed, then we see the
value of the data.

Of course, there are special cases where you don't care if you lose
data.  But it is not unusual for DBAs and Sysadmins to underestimate the
value of the data, even in these special cases.

For example, if a data warehouse goes down, and the data warehouse is
used to compute month-end closing information, a delay of 3 days to redo
everything can be a tremendous expense.

There is an exception to every rule, of course.  But I raise my hand and
shout about this issue just so that people will think about it.
What will the real cost be, if my database fails?  Will it really be
cheaper to do data integrity shortcuts rather than buying faster
hardware?

I will tend to err on the side of data integrity, for sure.