Re: no test programs in contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: no test programs in contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/27/14 3:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not too happy with that approach, because packagers are going to
> tend to think they should package any files installed by install-world.
> The entire point of this change, IMO, is that the test modules should
> *not* get installed, certainly not by normal install targets.  Being
> consistent with the existing contrib packaging is exactly not what we
> want.

I share this objection.

> Maybe we should only allow check-world to run these tests, and not
> installcheck-world?  That's kind of annoying, but what you are
> doing now seems to defeat the purpose altogether.

Maybe this will have to do for now.

But the existing main regression tests are able to run against an
existing installation while using the modules autoinc.so and refint.so
without installing them.  I think the problem is that we are able to
load a .so file from just about anywhere, but we can't load a full
extension in the same way.  There have been discussions about that, in
the context of being able to test an externally developed extension
before/without installing it.  This is pretty much the same case.