Re: pg_upgrade should truncate/remove its logs before running - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_upgrade should truncate/remove its logs before running
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/6/22 02:17, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>> On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 01:58:21AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> As already mentioned, there's been no notice to buildfarm owners ...
>>> so has Andrew actually made a release?
>> There has been one as of 8 days ago:
>> https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/releases
> [ scrapes buildfarm logs ... ]
>
> Not even Andrew's own buildfarm critters are using it, so
> permit me leave to doubt that he thinks it's fully baked.
>
> Andrew?

*sigh* Sometimes I have a mind like a sieve. I prepped the release a few
days ago and meant to come back the next morning and send out emails
announcing it, as well as rolling it out to my animals, and got diverted
so that didn't happen and it slipped my mind. I'll go and do those
things now.

But the commit really shouldn't have happened until we know that most
buildfarm owners have installed it. It should have waited wait not just
for the release but for widespread deployment. Otherwise we will just
lose any logging for an error that might appear.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan