Re: service allowing arbitrary relations was Re: hstore, but with fast range comparisons? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: service allowing arbitrary relations was Re: hstore, but with fast range comparisons?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/13/2014 5:56 PM, Guyren Howe wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
>
>>> I want to do something that is perfectly satisfied by an hstore column. *Except* that I want to be able to do fast
(ieindexed) <, > etc comparisons, not just equality.

>>>  From what I can tell, there isn’t really any way to get hstore to do this, so I’ll have to go to a key-value
table.But I thought I’d ask just in case I’m missing something.

>> I think your missing something.
>>
>> Is it one field in the hstore?  Did you try an expression index?
>>
>> create index cars_mph on cars ( (data->'mph') );
>>
>> thats a btree index, which should support < and >.  (Although I've never tried it)
>
> Sorry I wasn’t clear. I need a fast comparison on whatever keys someone chooses to put in the hstore.
>
> I’m creating a web service where you can post whatever keys and values you wish. I am leaning toward having folks
declarethe relations they want to store and the field types, so I could just create a table for each one, but I want
thisto be able to scale to a lot of data for a lot of people.

> Perhaps I could give everyone their own schema and just create tables for their relations. How heavyweight are
schemas?

> But if I don’t want to do that, I’m leaning toward a table with a relation name and a hstore, and then separate k-v
tablesfor different types. I was thinking of keeping the hstore because they will often be searching on fewer fields
thanthey’re retrieving, so this would avoid having to do a join for every field they need.

> Regards,
>
> Guyren G Howe
> Relevant Logic LLC

Please keep the list cc'd, there are much smarter people there.

-Andy