Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/10/14, 11:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>>>
>>> I could see logging it, but I agree with Andres and Alvaro that the
>>> odds are strongly against there being any actual problem here.
>>
>> I'm fine with that. Any other objections? Andres?
>
> If what we want is to quantify the extent of the issue, would it be more
> convenient to save counters to pgstat?  Vacuum already sends pgstat
> messages, so there's no additional traffic there.

IMHO that would be ideal, but I think Tom was leery of using more space for every table. If we go this route, I'm
guessingwe should only log pages we skip, and not log pages we had to wait for the lock on (in the case of a freeze).
Also,should we still eroprt this even if we are putting it in stats?

Is there a way to avoid duplicating the entire eroprt call? I see I could call errstart & friends manually, but
currentlythat's only done in elog.c.